Preetam Raj

Protagonist

life and lies

Leave a Comment
The following context is related to a friend of mine, Shivam Sharma. In a recent tragic incident, we lost him and few of our dearest friends. This is a way of remembrance and homage to his everlasting soul.

Accidents, this word is absurd. Somehow we all see it coming. But the helpless of our own self to act is rather termed as accidents. I saw the wrong turn and I surely knew it was way too late to act it out, to defend ourselves. What do we do for the remaining seconds of our lives before it snaps right through the silent spaces of cosmic warfare. Did we repent? Were we filled with regret and remorse? There is never enough time to think it through, my actions and what I needed to change. The least in my worries were the fact if this was it? If this could kill us all? My heart raced and the nerves would flush off the legit amount of alcohol, maybe I was immune to the booze for the while. For the next few seconds, things didn’t move in a slow motion but we were numb to depict the basic response. Screeched tires, broken glasses, chaos and stench of the blood. I have seen it all. Maybe the impact was tremendous. The sound of it scares the most. It numbs the senses, makes you devoid of any pain but the fear itself.
We did hit the ground, smashed glasses and wrecked seats. How bad can it be? Maybe we did make out of it, Maybe this was the lesson we can use to change all our lives forever. Somehow I just wish to be back home, with my family. I just wish to feel safe now. The cold streets won’t do the same. Neither will the gushed out blood stretching infinitely covering the uneven surface of the road, emptying myself from inside. At this moment I don’t exactly know if my friends can hear me, I’m not even sure if I can hear myself. The dried blood over my face is stretches the skin as if it could hurt any less. This is the exact moment when I realize the pain. Its like literally ripping off my consciousness from my body. The dire thirst of moving by an inch seems like a death wish. So I gave up on trying. Slowly as it may seem. The pain faded, and so did the mere consciousness. The body drenched into the lucid state where I can almost feel the gruesome torture suffered by my body but I am helpless enough to fight it. Dazed off by the lights of passing vehicles. Each one seemed like angel of oblivion for the rescue, yet no one stopped by. Maybe they didn’t care. Maybe we couldn’t care anymore than them.
Is it a torture when you’re dying. I don’t know, I have seen people dying. Where they blissfully breathe out their last sigh. But it certainly wasn’t my case. I awaited, trembling  till the motions halted, only when I was out of breath… forever

photo courtesy: Arup Jyoti Boro
(every year there are hundreds of people dying due to drinking and driving. Please be responsible, we lost our closest of friend. Maybe you are a part of someone’s family as well.)

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment